"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Monday, April 29, 2013

Show me your UGLY Face!




One of many UGLY FACES!

I pulled into the athletic club very tense. My anxiety was higher than normal but I knew I just needed to run it out.
I dropped off my gym bag in the locker, grabbed my Garmin and ipod and heading outside for a run.
I really didn't have a plan but to run about 7 miles because that was about all the time I had.

As I was trying to get satellite I decided to run a 5k in the trails of Genysis and then run the roads, finishing back at the hospital for about 7 miles total.

Motivation came easy with the right song blaring in my ears. I am sure I have my music up way to loud but it sure makes the legs turn over stronger and faster. I may go deaf prematurely but I sure will enjoy the ride along the way!

The trails were winding around ponds and through trees. The air was chilly but I was heating up fast as I continued to pace myself. I could feel my heart racing through my chest and it was awesome! The harder I was breathing the more I could feel the weight of the world releasing its grip on me.
In tune with my body and my surroundings I felt so humbled.  I gave thanks to God for the sweat on my brow and the lack of lung capacity I was feeling as I was maintaining a sub 8 minute pace.

Coming to the last quarter mile Eminem put motivation in my ears with his words from "Till I Collapse"

Cause sometimes you just feel tired,
Feel weak, and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up.
But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
And just pull that %$#* out of you and get that motivation to not give up
And not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse.

And like that I finish my 5K.  Looking down and I see 23:29 on my Garmin! "Where did that come from?" I stared in disbelief. Still moving I slowed my pace down with a bit with a smile sneaking out. 
4 more miles to do and it was not the time to get all cocky!  I could crash at any time. But as I ran down Baldwin road my legs still felt strong. However, when I ran back in to the athletic club they began to weaken. This 4 miles consisted of hills and I was heading to the pain locker. That last mile I had the UGLY FACE. You know the one...The face you look like you just ate a turd..Like you swallowed it whole and it is stuck in your throat. 
My face was all contorted, sweat was beading off my eyebrows and because I couldn't catch my breath  I was gasping for air.  My teeth were gritting together in determination not to slow down. 
As I finished my over calculated 7 miler I praised GOD. I had chill bumps running through out my body. I gave God thanks...Gratitude consumed me.
The Ugly Face is the Face of Endurance and Commitment. It is the Face that says "I will NOT quit." 
It is the Face that says "YOU will NOT Beat me down." It is the Face of a Overcomer..Overcoming pain, hurt, struggles, adversity, yourself......

I thought since I was meeting a friend, "Jessica" for another run I should probably do the cold plunge. 

I met "Jessica" at Independence Oaks for a coaching run. Jessica had a lot of questions about running. But as I observed her running form and listened to her run and breath I discovered that she didn't necessarily need a coach..She just needed encouragement!
I love encouraging new and old runners. I think I get more out of it then they do. 
We were made to run. We have had legs far before automobiles, bicycles or EXCUSES!

GREAT JOB:
  • "Jessica" for a incredible 4 miler today!
  • "Ryan P" for your first 2 MILER today! 
  • "Lori S" for supporting  Breast Cancer with the 3 day walk.
  • "Sarah B" running a 5K in Florida at midnight!
  • PHI SIGMA SIGMA for raising over 2000$. I attended a fundraiser Saturday to raise $ for the scholarship they created in my Niece Ariels' Name! 
Get Your Ugly Face on this week. 

Anita



8 comments:

  1. Thanks anita for your encouragement! I love you so much! Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan YOU ROCK! Keep it up!! You can do it!

      Delete
  2. Those ugly faces are faces of strength to runners... knowing what the pain is you're working through & still going. Yep - awesome face is more like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is.. I know I feel awesome when I am done but I sometimes wonder how I must LOOK to those looking at me running strong. When my face is grimacing and I am huffing and puffing in agony. God Always gives us what we need.

      Delete
  3. Nita, you're the best! Thank you for encouraging AND training me!! Jess :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally Looking forward to running with you next week!!!!
      I had so much fun..But I am leaving SHEBA at HOME!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Michelle.. I wanted to so bad. But them I found out that my Niece Ariel made the Deans list before she passed away and they are honoring her at graduation THAT DAY! :(

      I was trying to figure out what other marathons you are doing.
      I was considering doing the A2 marathon in June....I and looking for one to do!!! I would love to run one with you!

      Delete